A 1931 poster in Layton.
THE VERY FIRST WARD IN LAYTON:
“The members of second ward of Kaysville last Sunday decided to change the name to Layton Ward to so as to conform with the precinct and post office And hereafter it will be known by that name.” (-Davis County Clipper, Aug. 31, 1892.)
SPEAKING IN TONGUES IN AN 1896 LAYTON WARD:
-Layton lines: -- "The stake presidency was with us Sunday and spoke in meeting and 'Aunt Browett' spoke in tongues; Henry Morrison interpreted the same." (Davis County Clipper, June 5, 1896.)
SIX OF SEVEN PROSPECTIVE ELDERS FAIL The 'ENTRANCE EXAM IN 1896':
"'Many are called but few are chosen is the way a familiar saying goes and something after this sort has been the fate of some of our Layton boys. Almost two months ago seven were called to be added to the Elder's Quorum but only one succeeded in passing the entrance exam after being given two trials. The boys were the pick of the town and alright but could not promise that they would in the future never use any strong drink or tobacco or say any swear words. The real cause, it is said, of their fear that they could not keep these requirements, was a number of missionaries are to drafted from the quorum in the future." (Davis County Clipper, May 24, 1896.)
WATER TROUGH BAPTISMS IN LAYTON'S EARLY YEARS:
Water was needed for more than drinking, bathing and irrigation during Layton’s early days. Some baptisms in West Layton were performed during the summers of the late 19th Century in a stock watering trough at the south end of Angel Street, on the A.K. Green Farm.
The trough would be washed and then refilled with clean water, which was allowed to warm in the sun all day. After the baptisms, confirmations took place in a nearby “buggy shed.” (From the “West Layton/Layton 2nd Wards 1985-1995” history book.)
A report on the West Layton LDS Ward Sunday School indicated that the Sunday, Nov. 3, 1901 meeting began 25 minutes late. The delay was cause because there were no deacons present to build a fire in the church building. (From the Davis County Clipper.)
WHEN A BISHOP PAID YOUNG MENS' TITHING:
The Bishop of the Layton Utah Second Ward, Wayne H. Flint, thought it so important for all Aaronic Priesthood holders to be a full-tithe payer in the Church, that he paid their tithing for them, if they were unable to do so.
From about 1959-1966 this took place.
However, the young men were charged with responsibility of paying the Bishop back. And, according to the book, "West Layton/Layton 2nd Wards, 1895-1995," "All loans were repaid."
A historical marker in West Layton,